Thursday, September 8, 2011

Journal #5 - Modern Day Punishment

I think mainly the punishment really depends on the kid and also the parent, but this will just be in a general sense. I think that it is harder for parents these days to punishment their children then in previous years because of all of the technology. It used to be that back in the day, you would have to do more chores, or you could not go play with your friends or play outside. But now a days you do not have to be around your friends in order to talk to them. It is so easy to stay connected all of the time with things like facebook and cell phones. I believe that this makes things a little harder on parents when it comes to punishment. I know a lot of people these days are punishing their kids by taking away facebook and such, but this is tough because almost all phones have Internet on them as well. So if you say no facebook, it would almost have to be like saying no computer or phone. However, I believe that because kids use technology a whole bunch, I feel like taking away their phone or computer is an accurate punishment. I'm sure their are other possible punishments that would work as well, but the problem is, if they still have their phone or computer, then they will still be connected. By taking away a kids phone or computer, you are taking away their privilege to talk to friends and be in the loop on facebook. So, yes, I do believe that it would be appropriate as a punishment if a parent took away a kids phone or computer for awhile. I also think that it helps kids not rely on technology as much. Even though it is always good to know how to use technology, I think it is also important for kids to be able to do things without it as well. I think that taking away technology is a good modern day punishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment