Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Crucible Act 3 - Reflection Blog

Throughout the book The Crucible, it is very obvious that the author knows some things about human nature. The author reveals these things through the characters that are involved in the story. One of the things that I think the author understands most of all is the way humans defend themselves. For example, there are many times in the book, well really throughout the whole book, that the characters defend themselves by lying or even by betraying the ones that they care about. An example from the story is when Abigail tells everyone that Elizabeth Procter kept poppets in her house. The truth is that Elizabeth only had one poppet and one poppet only and the only reason she had it in the first place was because Mary Warren made it for her and had given it to her earlier in the story. The only reason Abigail would have said this is so that she herself would not be blamed for being involved in witchcraft. Abigail was probably afraid that if she could not make someone else look suspicious, then she would look suspicious to everyone. I thought the author understood this very well because he understands the way people think. Even though I would like to think that I would be a good person and do the right thing, my first reaction would probably be to defend myself, and by defending yourself often you find someone else to blame it on. In a way, this book is kind of dark. I feel like this book is really about all of the bad things that humans do. I also think that one of the worst things we can do is betray our fellow man and that is what the characters in The Crucible do all of the time. They also lie a lot, which goes along with betrayal. Not only do the characters not stand up for each other, but they blatantly lie about each other as well, especially Abigail. I actually really like this book so far though because I feel like it is pretty realistic and it is very interesting to read. I think that Arthur Miller did a very good job writing this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment