Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Qualities of Puritan Writing - Reflection Blog

There are many things that I noticed when I read A Narrative of Captivity and Restoration of Mrs. Mary Rowlandson, and the poem, "Upon the Burning of Our House." The first thing that I noticed when I read the narrative is just the way that they speak compared to the way that we speak as of today. There were many words that I could figure out because of context clues, but many of them I was not for sure what they meant right away. I really like the way they spoke though because I think it is much more elegant and intelligent sounding. For example, there is a part in the narrative when Mary says "But now I must turn my back from the town, and travel with them into the vast and desolate wilderness, I know not whither." (Rowlandson, 82) Instead of using common words today like "place" it is replaced with a more effective word like "whither."

Another thing that I liked about this narrative and I thought was interesting, is Mary's constant and strong faith in God. I don't think there was one time in this book when she doubted Him and if she ever did, her doubt didn't last long. There are so many examples of her faith in this narrative, one of them being this quote, "but God was with me in a wonderful manner, carrying me along, and bearing up my spirit, that it did not quite fail." (Rowlandson, 83) Not only does she give thanks to God then, but even in really difficult times, like when she is thankful because she is fortunate enough just to get a little bit of food, or not have to sleep in the rain. (Rowlandson, 85) Even after she lost her child, Mary never ever lost faith. I wouldn't necessarily say that her faith in God reflects Puritan writing though. Even if you have faith in God, I don't think many people have that strong of faith. That is why I think Mary's story is very impressive. The poem Upon the Burning of Our House also deals with religious views. For example, in the poem Anne Bradstreet writes things such as "And to my God my heart did cry", and "It was His own it was not mine." ( Bradstreet, 91) These quotes show how she has faith and is willing to give up everything.

Most people I think are not big fans of the rhyming in "Upon the Burning of Our House", but I think it makes the poem more interesting. I like this style of writing because if I wanted to hear just normal phrases, I would just read prose. I also think that, given the circumstances, rhyming can make the message of the poem more effective. I really like the Puritan writing style because I feel that it is very pretty and enjoyable to read. Puritan writing contains many religious symbols and points throughout, but I personally really enjoy reading about those kind of things and I think that that kind of stuff is very interesting.

Wilhelm, Jeffrey D., and Douglas Fisher. Glencoe Literature. New York: Glencoe McGrawHill, 2009. Print.




No comments:

Post a Comment