Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Old Man and the Sea - Tone





The tone of the book The Old Man and the Sea I thought was a little difficult to point out. I think the tone of this book is also kind of sympathetic, but at the same time factual. This book is very simple and straight forward, that is one of the reasons that I like it. However, that is also one of the reasons that I disliked it. I liked that it was simple and very factual at first because it was straight to the point and you didn't have to really over analyse anything. It was refreshing to read a book like that also because it was kind of relaxing to just read without reading into it too much. After awhile though, I started to not like it as much as I did at the beginning because there wasn't that much emotion in it. I think I feel that way partly because the book was all in third person and it didn't have that much dialogue throughout.




Besides the book being factual, it also had a sympathetic kind of feel. Even though the book didn't let out a lot of dialogue or emotion, when you dig a little deeper you start to feel bad for Santiago, the old fisherman. The author writes about Santiago's struggle after struggle and I think eventually the author, or narrator, begins to feel bad for him as well and starts to show some sympathy. For example, when Santiago has the big marlin on the side of his boat he is thrilled. Then sharks begin to come and Santiago tries to beat them away even though Santiago and the author both know that there is no hope. ( Hemingway, 108) That is why I think that even though the tone is very straight forward and factual, it still has just a little bit of sympathy.





Hemingway, Ernest. The Old Man and the Sea. New York: Scibner Paperback Fiction, 1995. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment