Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Old Man and the Sea #6



The Old Man and the Sea is a classic and I believe that it will continue to be for a very long time. There are many reasons why we still read this book today. First of all I think the ending of this book is refreshing. I like books that end happy, but on the other hand, this one was in a way, more realistic. In real life you do not always get the ending that you wanted, but what you get is what you get and you just make the best of it. That's what it was kind of like in this story. Santiago never did get the fish in the end. He worked hard and long to catch that fish, but it just didn't happen for him.(Hemingway, 124) Now if I was Santiago I would be crazy mad and upset that I worked so hard for nothing, but instead Santiago is almost at peace with himself.



I think that this is a timeless message because many times people get caught up in their crazy world when things don't go exactly as planned. I think it is important to sometimes just take a deep breath and remember that everything is OK. Even though Santiago was probably sad that he didn't get the fish, he never let it get the best of him. He had a great attitude. (Hemingway, 126)



We as people can learn to be content with ourselves. We can also learn the values that Santiago possessed which were strength, courage, and patience. I liked this book a lot. I thought it was very good. I'm not sure if I got the main point or anything, but I still feel like I got something from The Old Man and the Sea.



Hemingway, Ernest. The Old Man and the Sea. New York: Scibner Paperback



Fiction, 1995. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment