Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Grapes of Wrath #4

Honestly, I'm not sure if there is one main hero in this book. I feel like all of the characters were heros in their own way because they all accomplished so many things together as a family. But if I had to pick one I guess it would be Tom Joad. I feel like he was a hero because at the end he decides to help struggling people like himself and to remain selfless. He decides to put others first and help his fellow man regardless of the consequences. However, I also felt like Ma Joad could have been a hero too. Even though Tom is basically the main character, Ma was the one who tried to keep the family together throughout the novel.



Like Tom, Ma also at times decided to be selfless and put others before herself. For example, when Ma gives the extra stew to the hungry children at the camp, when she could have kept it for her and her family. (Steinbeck, 257) Without her the family may have not ended up where they did. They have not ended up all together either. (Well, except for Noah.) (Steinbeck, 208)



Both Tom and Ma accomplish alot. They accomplish the hardships and they learn what it means to be a generous and good person. However, Ma Joad and Tom Joad to me stand for two different things. If I had to choose one word for Ma it would be stregnth. I imagine it would be very hard to keep a family together during a time like that and to have to be positive and strong for everyone all of the time. Instead of falling apart, Ma remained opptimistic in the hope that her family would be happy again too living in California. That is why she is strong. Tom on the other hand I feel represents understanding. Tom learned many different things from people throughout the book, most of all I think from Casey. Casey taught him about people living as "one soul" and how we should be selfless and generous. (Steinbeck, 24 ) Tom finally understood what family ment and taking care of each other because you are all in the same boat. That is why I chose understanding for Tom Joad.



Steinbeck, John. The Grapes of Wrath. New York: Penguin, 2002. Print

No comments:

Post a Comment