Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Old Man and the Sea - My Opinion



I did like The Old Man and the Sea a lot. I liked it because it was a short and easy read. I think reading a book like this one every once in awhile is refreshing because it is not hard to read at all and it is very simple. I also liked the symbolism in this book. It had a lot of symbolism and I thought it was really interesting how the author tied those things into the story. Like how the marlin could represent Christianity, or how the marlin and Santiago are a lot alike, etc. There are just so many different ways you could interpret this book. You could just simply take away exactly what it told you word for word and I think that would be good. However, there are a whole bunch of these deeper meanings hidden throughout the book, and I think that is really cool.



The only thing I did not like about the book, was that I felt like it was kind of boring. I liked that it was easy to read and stuff and I loved the simplicity of it, but at the same time I don't think there was enough detail or something. Compared to The Grapes of Wrath or Their Eyes Were Watching God, I feel like there was not enough emotion or something. But overall, I really liked the book and I didn't mind reading it.



Hemingway, Ernest. The Old Man and the Sea. New York: Scibner Paperback Fiction, 1995. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment