Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Journal #13 - The American Dream

Journal #13 – The American Dream
We learned a lot about the American Dream in 20th Century history class last year. However, the American Dream has obviously changed since the 1950’s. Back in that time, the dream consisted of living in a little suburb where most of the houses are cookie cutter, and having a family that included usually two to three children. If you have ever seen Pleasantville, that was basically what people were going for. They liked the image of having a perfect family in a perfect little community. So that was the American Dream back then. I do not think that today’s American Dream differs that much from the old American Dream. In fact, I think that it is basically the same. People have different definitions of success. However, I define success as not always having money, although that would be nice, but getting a good job and supporting yourself as well as your family. I think that is quite an accomplishment. I also think that most people hope to end up and live in a nice and safe community, especially if they have a family to look after. Even though living in the suburbs in not what everyone wants, I think that it is overall, still an American Dream just because it is a perfect place to raise a family and it is nice to live in. It’s not too fancy, and it’s not too small. It is perfect. I think that living the American Dream would also include having a good job. Especially living in a time like this when work is sometimes hard to find, I think that most people want a job that they like as well as getting paid a descent amount. I think that would have to be part of the American Dream because if you do not have a decent job, then you will not be able to pay for the other stuff that you want like a nice house, etc. So overall, I do not think the American Dream has changed that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment