Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Journal #30

I have not read that many Walt Whitman poems, but if I had to choose my favorite, I think that I would pick O Captain My Captain. I would pick that one just because it is the one that I probably hear the most about and also because I think it is one of the easier ones to understand. The poem is about a ship that comes home from a big voyage. The ship is all weathered and torn, but they managed to return home. When they arrive, everyone is cheering and celebrating, but unfortunately, the Captain had passed away. A man on the ship is talking about the grand homecoming and how all of the people are excited for their arrival. He tells the Captain that he needs to wake up and hear the bells, but of course, the Captain does not answer, because he is dead on the deck.  Basically, this poem is about how even though everyone is very happy because they made it home safely, one of the passengers was mourning for his captain, which had not made it back safe. I liked this one better also because in a lot of Walt Whitman's poems he usually has a hidden meaning or something like that, or sometimes people can interpret poems any way they want, but in this poem, I think the meaning is pretty straight forward for the most part and I am not sure if you could interpret it in any other way really. I also picked it in the first place because it is not super long. I tend to like the shorter poems more than the longer ones because the short ones are normally pretty straight forward and right to the point. The longer ones, in general, are usually a little hard to follow and they sometimes get a little confusing. That is why I picked the poem O Captain, My Captain by the famous poet, Walt Whitman.

No comments:

Post a Comment