Thursday, February 9, 2012

Blog #3 - Calvary Crossing a Ford

Before I write anything in this blog, I would just like to define the word "ford". I did not know what a ford was and neither did a lot of people so just in case anyone reads this blog and doesn't know what a ford is, it is defined as, "A shallow place in a river or stream allowing one to walk or drive across" (Dictionary). I actually really liked reading this. Calvary Crossing the Ford is by Walt Whitman, who was actually a nurse in the Civil War, which I didn't know until today. That also makes a lot of sense that he would write something lie this. So anyway, in this poem, Walt Whitman talks mainly about how American soldiers are walking and crossing over streams, or a ford. I really like this poem because you can interpret the meaning really any way you want. But, really I needed some help figuring out what it could mean at first. For example, it says, "Scarlet and blue and snowy white,
The guidon flags flutter gayly in the wind" (Whitman). I think that this is talking about the American flag that proudly waves in the wind. That shows some patriotism. I also think that the soldiers seem pretty peaceful despite being at war. They were proud to fight for their country, even though the war was not very peaceful. Both Emerson and Whitman believed in freedom. They both talk about how our freedom is important and they both disliked slavery very much. However, I think that Emerson talks more about individual freedom, or the freedom of one person or group rather than our freedom as a country and coming together. Like I said, I think this poem could be interpreted in many different ways, but that is what I got from this poem and I thought it was a good poem to read. As far as Emerson and Whitman go, I think that they had many of the same views.




Dictionary.com | Find the Meanings and Definitions of Words at Dictionary.com. Web. 09 Feb. 2012.

"Cavalry Crossing a Ford - Walt Whitman (1819-1892)." Books & Literature Classics. Web. 09 Feb. 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment