Thursday, March 1, 2012

Blog #13 - I Will Fight No More Forever

I absolutely loved this speech. It was short and simple, but meaningful still. This speech is by Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce, which were located in Northwest Oregon. The story behind the speech is that the Nez Perce tribe were originally supposed to move to a reservation, but they did not like that and did not want to go. So instead, Chief Joseph tried to lead his tribe of people to Canada so that they would not have to live on the reservations. They made it all the way past Montana and Idaho, but were trapped only about forty miles away from Canada. The tribe fought for about five days, but in the end, they were beaten. This was when Chief Joseph made his speech. In his speech he says that he does not like fighting and he does not want to do it anymore. He also states, " The old men are all dead. It is the young men who say yes or no. He who led the young men is dead." (Joseph) Because all of the older men are dead, all of the younger ones have to make the decisions now and take that responsibility. It was a great loss, so he continues and finishes by saying, "Hear me, my chiefs. I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever." (Joseph). I think that this relates to Emerson and Thoreau because well, I do not know how they felt about the Indians, but I know that they both did not like slavery, and I feel that this is borderline. They did not like the violence that came from slavery, so in my opinion, I do not think that they would like the violence and loss of life that came from this either (Emerson).


"Famous Emerson Quotes - Philosophy Paradise." Philosophy Paradise. Web. 01 Mar. 2012

"Chief Joseph." Welcome to Georgia State University. Web. 01 Mar. 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment