Friday, December 9, 2011

Journal #20 - Autumn, an original journal by Abigail E. Ulrich

This poem is a great example of the Romanticism writing style. Like all of the other poems we have read so far, this one portrays the writing style because it is very descriptive and relates to nature in some way or another. This poem here is about how the speaker is really happy that Autumn is coming. I did not like this poem near as much as the poem we read the other day. The Chambered Nautilus I think first of all, was way more interesting and imaginative. Unlike this one, The Chambered Nautilus was a whole little story about the nautilus or the creature and I think was a good and imaginative little story. This one, on the other hand, is just describing how much the speaker likes Autumn. For example, the poem states, "Thou comest, Autumn, heralded by the rain, With banners, by great gales incessant fanned." (Longfellow 1-2) The sonnet also describes some of the events that occur in Autumn. Longfellow describes things about the farmers and the harvest moon. "Blessing the farms through all thy vast domain" and "Thy shield is the red harvest moon, suspended." (Longfellow 8-9) This is saying that Autumn is a great blessing to the farmers and it also describes the big red harvest moon. Like I said before, this is very descriptive and that is why it falls into the Romanticism period. So, I thought this poem was pretty boring, but this is just one poem out of the many that have been written during the Romanticism period. Overall or in general, I think I like the Romanticism period. I think that the reason I do not like this poem over the other poems we have read is because to me, it is a lot harder to understand than other ones such as The Chambered Nautilus. This poem also includes a metaphor such as "Like flames upon an alter shine the sheaves." (Longfellow 12) I did like this poem a little bit though because it was short and simple once you figured out what it meant.

No comments:

Post a Comment